Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pacificministries Korea/Mongolia #1


Pacificministries Korea/Mongolia  #1

After a 16 hour flight from Portland, including a three-hour layover in beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, I arrived safe and sound in this, my 34th trip to Asia.  

I am here for a three-day conference in Kyung Ju, an ancient city in southeastern Korea revered by Koreans as a city of Kings and Queens.  There are massive 50 foot high ancient mounds throughout the city marking the burial grounds of Korean royalty.    The Koreans have restored the historical sites of the palaces, ponds, and gardens famous for their beauty.  This city is known as the "End of the Silk Road" a destination point for centuries of trade and travel through Korea, China, Mongolia, India, and the Middle East.  This road is also recognized as a symbolic journey for many Asian Christians who have a passion to take the gospel to Muslim nations.  Some know this as the "Back to Jerusalem" movement.  I am intrigued I find myself at the eastern end of the Silk Road with travel to Mongolia next week and India next month.  I am grateful for air rather than camel travel any day.

This is a beautiful, quiet, mountainous resort town, and many families with children visit all year round.  They are famous for hot air balloons, and many Korean men follow a tradition and propose to their hopeful brides during a balloon trip.  They even cater a full dinner in the balloon.  Yesterday morning, a beautiful dusting of late spring snow covered the city, the first snow in the month of March in 30 years.  I am sitting in my hotel room with a cup of the new Starbucks instant coffee Carlene bought me before I left.  Sounds like an oxymoron... Starbucks and instant coffee... but surprisingly, it's actually not bad!

I have been privileged to share and pray for a congregation of believers who are passionate for the presence of God.  They want to establish a 24-hour prayer house, and there are many young people who God is shaping and sharpening like spiritual arrows.  Pastor Kim has a passion for other leaders in this city and I have met several during this visit who desire true spiritual unity.  I am reminded of Psalm 133 where there is commanded blessing when brothers dwell together as one body.

This morning, I am asking for prayer as Pastor Kim has arranged for a private meeting at 11 a.m. Friday, March 19 (7 p.m. Thursday March 18 Pacific Time) with the mayoral candidate in the coming election in Kyung Ju.  During last December's visit to Japan, I was privileged to pray for the youngest member of the Council of Japan, the US equivalent of the Senate.  I do not seek out these meetings, but they happen naturally... I call them God arranged moments.

Saturday I take the express bus back to Seoul and will spend some time with Mongolian leaders and share at David Park's church on Sunday before leaving Monday Mongolia.


Thank you for praying!

Darrell