For over ten years, every day of my life, I have prayed the Word of God as found in Ephesians 1:15 -19, and I have prayed it in various versions over my life. I began to do what I would later call "Pray-Read" which is to pray the Word over my life and the lives of others.
As I learned to let the Word of God dwell richly within my heart, I would simply pray from the overflow of the Word stored up within me. Ephesians 1:15-19 contains the request to give the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. The Apostle Paul wrote this for the Believers in Ephesus and yet is a great model for us yet today! It has become the "bread and butter" of who I am today and who I want every Believer around the world to become. So let's "Pray-Read" the following verses together.
"For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.
I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe."
Remember that you can Pray-Read any Scripture that is revealed to your heart, but for this week we want to focus on this passage...that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him. I also encourage you to Pray-Read this Scripture over many other people that you know. Here is a partial list below to help you in your prayer time this week:
Let's Pray-Read the Word of God over: our own lives, families, churches, the ministries in which we participate, and our neighborhoods and cities!
Awesome! Can you imagine – united prayer this week around the world for the spirit of wisdom and revelation being released? I can! When we do this together, we will experience an increase of prophetic revelation upon our lives and our extended spheres of influence. Below is a teaching outline for your study for receiving revelation.
GOD'S DESIRE IS THAT WE BE A PEOPLE OF REVELATION
God Wants the Lamp of Revelation Lit!
The Holy Spirit wants the candle of His presence to burn brightly within the life of each Believer. Let's trim the lamp of God's presence in the temple of God so that visions will be frequent once again.
1. I Samuel 3:1-3 - Samuel rested by the Ark of God's presence.
2. II Kings 6:17 - Elisha prayed that another would see.
3. John 16:13-15 - The Holy Spirit will illuminate truth.
4. Daniel 12:3 - The wise will shine brightly for the Lord.
1. Acts 2:17 - Dreams, visions and revelation are scriptural for you and for today!
2. Ask and receive according to James 4:2 and John 16:24.
3. Revelation comes in.
Answer to Prayer
1. I Kings 3:3-5 - After Solomon offered sacrifices to God, the Lord appeared to him in a dream.
2. Daniel 2:17-23 - Daniel requested that he might know the secret mysteries of the Lord.
1. Genesis 28:10-12 - A ladder of visitation came down to Jacob while in the vicinity of Haran.
2. Matthew 2:19 - After Herod's death, revelation was released to Joseph.
Response to Fasting
1. Daniel 9 and 10 - In responses to prayer, fasting and confession of sin, angelic encounters were sent to Daniel.
2. Matthew 5:3-8 - Humility is rewarded by the Kingdom of God.
Set Your Mind and Affections Above
1. Colossians 3:1-2 - Seek those things which are above.
2. Romans 8:5-9a - Sow things to the Spirit and you will reap things to the Spirit.
3. Romans 12:1-2 - As we renew our minds, the will of God will be revealed to us.
QUIETNESS: THE INCUBATION CRADLE FOR REVELATION
Scriptural Basis of the Necessity of Quietness
1. Isaiah 30:15 - "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: 'In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.'"
2. Psalm 46:10 - "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
3. Psalm 131:1-3 - "My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore."
THINGS THAT WILL HINDER THE FLOW OF PURE REVELATION
Lifestyle of Carnality (see Isaiah 57:20-21)
1. Worry - Psalm 37:8.
2. Anger - Ephesians 4:26.
3. Lust - Romans 13:10-14.
4. Alcohol/Drugs/Addictions - Ephesians 5:18.
5. Bitterness - Hebrews 12:15.
Entertainment Issues (see Mark 4:24)
We must be careful what we listen to. What we let into our eyes and ears will be what our heart and mind will dwell on. Go on a TV/movie fast.
This definitely can hinder the flow of revelation. At times this is not our fault - with our job demands and schedules etc. Cry out for God's grace and He will help you alter your schedule as needed.
TIPS ON REMEMBERING DREAMS
Working with Clocks
1. If possible, get rid of your loud alarm clock. Ask the Holy Spirit to wake you up. Establish a habit of getting up at a set time if possible.
2. Many dreams come between four to five a.m.
3. Instead of an alarm, wake up by using a clock/radio tuned to soothing music.
Recording Your Revelation
1. Keep a notepad and pen by the bed.
2. Consider using a small tape recorder.
3. Develop your dream alphabet by keeping track of symbols.
4. Make note of your feelings/emotions in the dream/revelation.
5. Ask, "What does this symbol mean to me? Can I find it in Scripture?"
6. Be still and try to recall one or two details and then your memory will kick in (Zechariah 4:2).
Get wise counsel from gifted interpreters of dreams. Not everyone will have this capacity as developed as others. Even in Scripture, Daniel and Joseph are the only ones who were specifically mentioned having this gift.
KEYS TO TESTING REVELATION
Normally the Voice of the Lord Will Not Create Fear
The enemy can release oppression (Psalm 55:3), but God's way will release hope to us (Romans 15:4).
It Will Not Condemn
When you abide in Christ, there is no condemnation (Romans 8:1). But the ministry of the Holy Spirit will bring strong, specific conviction of sin (John 16:8).
It Will Not Put You Down
The Lord is for us and when we call on His name, He comes to our aid (Psalm 55:12) and will edify and comfort you (I Corinthians 14:2).
Short Dreams Will Carry A Lot of Impact
At times, the short dreams you awaken out of are the most significant. Long dreams at times are a result of your active or even tired soul (Ecclesiastes 5:7).
It will be Backed Up by the Word
God does not contradict Himself. True revelation will not conflict God's word but complement and confirm (John 16:13; 17:17).
The Inner Witness of Your Spirit
The Holy Spirit will speak peace to your heart (Psalm 85:8; Colossians 3:15) and give you an inner witness (Romans 8:16).
PLUG IN AND RECEIVE
Ask and Believe (see Mark 11:24)
When we pray, believe that we receive! God wants you to receive freely!
Receive! (see Acts 3:3-5)
Now - release your faith toward God and expect to receive! Remember, God wants you to hear His voice and experience His revelatory ways even more than you want to!
James W. Goll