Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pacificministries India #5

Pacificministries India #5

It is impossible to describe the slums of Mumbai.  Many Westerners were first exposed to through the Academy award-winning movie "Slumdog Millionaire".  The relentless 100° heat with 90% humidity, the sickly sweet smells of rotting garbage, dust, children crying and others playing cricket in the narrow lanes.  Other women chatter as they wash clothes and others create cheap necklaces and other trinkets they hope to peddle to tourists.  But there is another sound in these slums.  The sound of clapping hands and voices raised in a song of praise.  It is the sound of the church.  Believers gathering to worship.  I was privileged to to be a part of that sound in some half-dozen House churches in the slums of Mumbai.  

In the late afternoon as I was walking through the hot sun back to our air conditioned car, I said to the Lord,  "If you once again chose to walk the face of this planet, I believe you would visit this place first."  He said simply: "I am already here".  

I feel so privileged to have been with the least of them. Thank you for continuing to pray for my health and travel safety.  I am back in Delhi with Rodrick Gilbert, his family and his Ministry team.  We have the joy of three days together before I leave Tuesday evening for a 29 hour journey back to the land of McDonald's and Starbucks.  I have been hamburger free for nearly 20 days... have run out of Starbucks instant coffee, and am very happy. 

Bless you,

Darrell