Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Bless the Lord


Friends.....
 
Have not had access to Internet, so will make this short.  This situation here is, according to some getting worse.  Northwest Air cancelled our flights, and we are about 11 hours from Bangkok and we are not anxious to return until there is some stabilization.  Here in Chang Mai, the prime minister and his government are re-locating, and even though we are not in Bangkok, one Christian was murdered in the clash of protesters.  We are again, safe, but are very cautious about moving around to another city as thousands of tourists are trying to leave.  The King of Thailand is not anxious to intervene, and some say 4 days ... others say longer, before airports may open. (can we say "Merry Christmas" in Thai...NOOOOOO!)
 
So what does this mean.  I have always said God is in every delay, but I really always meant minor flight cancellations or weather problems.  We are living out this truth...and we still believe it.  We are staying in a compound with some 15 other missionaries from all parts of the world.  We are getting an education in Kingdom application from so many cultures, and we have ministered to many, as well as receiving the gracious hospitality of several families in this city.  There is a purpose to all of this, and we are excited to discover  it.
 
Our immediate prayer concern is wisdom with regard to our next move.  I believe we will stay in this city until we hear the Lord.  I am so glad Carlene is here with me, and despite our situation, we feel loved and surrounded by His Grace.  We have many stories to tell...too many to tell now, but I want to share this.
 
Those of us who live in free and democratic nations have much to be thankful for. Having traveled to Sri Lanka and now, Thailand for the past 3 weeks, (both countries which face unresolved civil conflict), have made me aware of how I have taken for granted so many things.  I encourage you to pause and Bless the Lord...for His great love and blessings we enjoy.  Yet, I see a deep faith and a strength in the Thai Christians I do not see in many western believers, including myself.  I'm jealous of it. We were fortunate to minister for 2 days to some 5 mountain tribal pastors and leaders, and their simple love for God and each other humbles me.  We prayed for all of them, and felt as if this one assignment was worth our entire trip.
 
Thanks for praying, and we will try to update all of you in a few days.  We may visit an Internet cafe, and check our email, and your insights and brief notes are encouraging.  I said to Carlene last night....we really are not in Kansas anymore....(we are still laughing...hard at times and mostly at each other!!)
 
Darrell