Wednesday, July 20, 2005

2nd Update

Dear Friends and Ministry Partners,

I know it has been a few weeks since I have given you an update regarding our oldest son's condition after his automobile accident July 3rd. Suffice to say we are very grateful he is alive. The driver who collided with him had no license or insurance and had six prior convictions for drunken driving. He remains in jail but is expected to plead not guilty. One passenger in his automobile remains in the hospital, and Nate and Krista are now involved in various legal proceedings, court appearances, and hospital visits with physical therapy. An especially intriguing exercise, is a Victim's Impact Statement Nathan and his wife Krista will craft and be read in court prior to much of the legal proceedings. We are praying not only for justice and fair recompense, but for an opportunity to demonstrate God's grace, forgiveness, and mercy to the offender and other families involved. Carlene has remained in Minneapolis for several weeks to be with Nathan as Krista has returned to work.

Needless to say, these past weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions. But the support of family and friends who have faithfully interceded have been a constant source of encouragement.

I returned to the Pacific Northwest on Monday and will spend the next few days preparing for ministry in Los Angeles at the Korean based Youth With A Mission school. Carlene returns on Thursday, July 28th to the Seattle area where we will attend her family reunion in Port Townsend. After nearly six weeks of being away from our little condominium in Gresham, we finally come home on August 1st.

Most of us have at one time or another experienced a season not unlike Carlene and I have. Nowhere does God promise of life free from difficulty or tragedy. As I have talked with many of you on the phone or through email, a common question is: "What is the Lord saying to you?"

In the moments following our early morning phone call on July 3rd, I felt Lord remind me of the promise found in John 10. Jesus promises that those who listen to his voice and follow Him will never perish; and that no one can snatch them out of His Hand.

I believe this was God's word for us during that hour. He has not said much more than this. Sometimes I desperately desire a word from a Lord and when I receive it, I neglect to rest in that word. These past few weeks I have learned to rest in the promise that God will never leave us, and that nothing or no one can snatch us away from His Hand. I am learning to be content in this truth. I don't need another word... I want to learn to rest in this one.

Most of us are involved and quite busy with ministry. We have many things to do and people to see. Events to plan for and fires to put out. Much of this can be good. But the temptation is to miss an opportunity to rest in God's current promises for us.

My prayer today, is that God would give us renewed confidence and rest in His current Word. What has he said to you? Are you resting in what he has already said?

Thank you again for all of your prayers and words of encouragement. We rejoice in God's faithfulness and grace.

Bless you,

Darrell